Monday, September 19, 2011

Food Shopping: Where to go and where I go.

One of my wishes is to be able to buy everything on my shopping list at one time and at one store.  Unfortunately this doesn't always happen.  Is my list too long? Specific? Obscure?  No, none of the above.  "No Stock Madame" is a common phrase I hear at grocery stores, which is usually followed by an annoyed "Sigh" from me.

For my big shopping trips when I need to buy meat (ie chicken- I don't cook other meat here), I make the trek to HyperCity in Inorbit Mall, Madhapur.  The downside to Hypercity is that their produce isn't as good as other stores.  Qmart, Ratnadeep, Spar, and Tarkari all have much better produce.  For reference, Hypercity opens at 10am (there rest of Inorbit mall opens at 11am) and closes at ?? sometime later than a normal person would be doing their grocery shopping, probably 9:30pm.

If you are looking for the best produce:
  • Tarkari is a small fruit and vegetable shop with 2 locations: Road #1 Banjara Hills directly below Lion India Framing Shop, and in Gacihbowli between the Cyberabad Police Comissionerate and the ramp to the new flyover. It is next to a More grocery store which has an orange sign.  Tarkari has the best selection of produce and you can find lettuce and celery most of the time.
  • Qmart: Road #2 Banjara Hills
  • Ratnadeep: (a few locations around town including:) Main road Madhapur, near My Home Navadweepa, and Road #12 Banjara Hills.  Their produce is always very good.  The tomatoes, onions, okra, green beans, and other items are prepackaged in 500g or 1kg bags, which makes shopping easier and quicker.
  • Spar: Oasis Center Begumpet
  • Pure O Natural:  Opposite Lumbini Springs, Kondapur.  Only fruits and vegetables.  Good selection and quality
Buying Meat?
Like I said, I only buy and cook chicken here.  Any fish or prawns I buy are frozen.  I buy my chicken from Hypercity, and will get frozen fish or prawns wherever I can find them: usually Ratnadeep or Qmart.  A number of people order meat and cheese from The Deli at the Novotel.  When you go there, ask for "the list" of produce and meat that they sell.  You can give them your order and it will be there to pick up the next day.  For me that requires planning...not my forte.  

For quick and easy grocery needs (milk, eggs, butter, sugar, flour, juice) any Heritage, Fresh, or More grocery store will be fine.  

6 comments:

  1. Awesome info! Very useful. Question: is it easy to find decent bottles of red wine in Hyderabad for reasonable prices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great website! We just relocated from the US and the info here is very helpful so that we don't overwhelm everyone at the office with the same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping remains incomplete without inclusion of jewellery shops in Hyderabad and one can the pioneers of this arena serving with top quality gold and jewelers at Abids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome and great info. quite useful while shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete